In this lab series, I will guide you through step by step instructions on how to install/configure Systems Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2.
SYSTEMS CENTER CONFIGURATION MANAGER 2012 R2 FEATURES
- Supports Deployment of Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2
- Support Boot Images created by Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) For Windows 7 SP1 and based on Windows PE 3.1
- Use SC2012R2 together with Windows Intune (named Unified Modern Device Management) to manage various PCs and devices such as Windows, Windows RT, Macs, Windows Mobile, Apple iOS, and even Android devices.
- Can now use RSOP to view combined settings that are applied to client computers.
- Can assign clients from one site to another (single client or bulk move).
- SCCM2012R2 added support for newer devices and device groups for better compliance.
- New Profile types such as Certificate Profiles, VPN Profiles, and Wifi Profiles.
- Improved features in Software Updates – Preview before deployment.
- Improved Application Management – Allow deploy shortcuts of web-based application on users devices.
- Allow you to group deployment options into collections (Software update only, or task sequence only, or all deployments).
Role-based admistration is integrated in Report. Only reports that the administrators have permissions to view are visible for them.
- Central Administration Site: each CAS can have up to 25 child primary site. If we use SQL Server Enterprise/Data Center edition in this farm, we can have up to 400,000 devices.
- Primary Site: Each Primary Site can have 250 Secondary Sites and up to 1,000,000 clients.
- Secondary Site: Maximum 5,000 clients. For Secondary Sites, the SQL server must be installed on the Site Server Computer. If a location has fewer than 500 clients, consider a Distribution Point instead of a Secondary Site.
- Management Point: Each Primary Site supports up to 10 Management Points and Each PSMP supports up to 25,000 client computers. Each Secondary Site support a single Management Point which must be installed on the Site Server Computer.
- Distribution Point: Each Primary and Secondary Site supports up to 250 Distribution Points and each DP supports connections from up to 4000 clients.
- Software Update Point:
Installed on Site Server and can support up to 25,000 clients.
- Fallback Status Point: Each FSP cupports up to 100,000 clients.
Hardware Requirements for Site Systems
- CPU: At least 1.4 GHz
- RAM: At least 2GB
- Disk Space: At least 50 GB.
OS Support for SC2012R2 Client Installation
- Windows XP SP3
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1
- Servers 2003, R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2
- Mac OSX
OS Support for SC2012R2 Configuration Manager Console
- Need .NET Framework installed
- XP SP3
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1
- Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2.
SQL Server Requirements
- SQL Server 2012 R2 is recommended
- USE collation of SQL_Latin_General_CP1_CI_AS
- Minimum of 8GB of Memory